Jewellery design is a professional art that entails use of varied materials like silver, gold, precious and artificial stones etc. in conceptualizing, visualizing, designing and creating jewellery. A Jewellery Designers needs to be up-to-date with the ensuing fashion trends, culture & social trends, market trends etc. In addition, he must have an understanding about customer preferences, their tastes, fabrication techniques and functional & architectural knowledge of materials including artificial & precious stones, gold & silver etc. Furthermore, a Jewellery Designer also must ensure that the design he is conceptualizing is viable both in terms of crafting as well as wearing.
Eligibility Criteria for Jewellery Design Courses
- Under-graduate level: For getting into a college for graduation, students must have completed their 10+2 from a recognized board and in any stream.
- Post-graduation level: In order to get into PG, students must have cleared their bachelor’s degree in associated field from any recognized university. Students who have graduated in non related fields can also apply, provided they display the requisite skill set for jewellery design.
- Eligible candidates need to appear for an entrance exam.
- On clearing their written entrance exam, students will have to clear group discussion and personal interview round
- Then basis the ranking, the students are allowed admission into the college
Skill set requirement for Jewellery Design Courses :
- To visualize unique innovative designs, you must have a creative bent of mind
- Ability to work with tools, techniques as well as different materials
- Courage, conviction and patience to experiment
- Capable in use of CAD along with other computer drawing softwares
- Meticulous to achieve perfection
- Time Management skills to manage deadlines, handling multiple projects,
- Networking & excellent communication skills not only market your designs but also get more clients and collaborate with different people and vendors
- Passionate to be in sync with old as well as modern trends
- Interact with clients and understand their requirements.
- Come up with necessary concepts and unique designs as per the client’s brief
- Utilize drawing softwares, CAD to convert your concepts into designs that you can present to client for their approval. These approved designs are also to be shared with the team so as to delegate the responsibilities.
- Crafting jewellery framework to assist mounting of chosen gems (stones) through drilling of metals.
- Utilizing moulds so as to craft decorative details followed by stamping and presswork
- Fabrication, soldering and drawing patterns on the metal surface
- Ensure proper finish through polishing
- Electro-plating so as to layer base metal with precious metal
- Enamelling in a kiln to fuse powdered glass to metal so as to craft coloured patterns
- Weldingto combine metal pieces
- Attend craft fairs and participate in competitions
- Researching & analyzing trends-jewellery, fashion, social & cultural
Jewellery Design Courses
While identifying the right college, following points must be kept in mind:
- The course must offer exposure to diverse art, craft and design practices including modern as well as traditional techniques, processes and technologies along with knowledge about different materials, thus promoting innovation
- The campus must boast of well equipped studio to facilitate practical experience, mechanical and digital fabrication.
- An insight into global aesthetics, trends, tastes and styles must be part of the curriculum.
- The curriculum must aim to facilitate students with competencies to approach the design brief methodically including an understanding of how environmental, technological, economic, social, and political issues have a bearing on the art, industry and design world.
Register Now, to express yourself through your designs.